Saturday, November 25, 2017

A632.6.3.RB - The High Cost of Conflict: Active Listening

As a leader in the U.S. Air Force I am constantly reminded on how much I have to learn. One of the abilities I recognize among experienced senior leadership is their ability to listen and fully absorb conflict without quickly submitting their personal opinions or biases. This is a trait I am fully aware I need to practice and perfect in order to be an effective leader.

In the YouTube video Improve Your Listening Skills with Active Listening, the Mind Tools team deliver five techniques to better prepare yourself for effective active listening: 1. Pay attention. 2. Show that you’re listening. 3. Provide feedback. 4. Defer judgement. 5. Respond appropriately. These techniques sound easy enough to accomplish, however, if you haven’t practiced them with clear intent you may find old habits of ineffective listening are hard to break.

Active listening is a skill I am fully aware of yet still struggle to master. I seem to have a habit of interrupting to give my point of view, oftentimes distracting from the message at hand. One key piece of advice to listen without having a preconceived rebuttal. This allows you to acknowledge the message and intent without bias.

Within the last three weeks I spent a significant amount of time with an individual whom I have developed a poor working and personal relationship. Every interaction seems to leave me fuming with negativity. I feel it’s my responsibility as the senior member to resolve the personality differences in order to work toward a positive and fulfilling collaboration. Within the first day of the off station exercise I confronted the individual and asked her to explain her constant willingness to fight me on every decision being made. At the beginning of the conversation I told her my intent was to leave rank at the door in order to fully understand one another’s point of view. She started the conversation with degrading insults that were filled with loudness negativity. I quietly listened, however, after a few minutes I allowed her emotions to affect me and I started to become biased toward my point of view. After realizing that I was losing control I took a step back to let her voice her opinions. I offered that we realize our differences but focus on a way to effectively work together, for sake of mission accomplishment. Levine (2009, pg. 42-43) describes this as the fifth step in the “Cycle of Resolution”; Seeing a Vision of the Future: Agreement in Principle. This step in conflict resolution allows both members to reflect on the future of the working relationship, leaving personal differences aside. Since our discussion we have developed steps to communicate more effectively.

Active listening allows you acknowledge the speaker’s point of view. There will be time when conflict is resolved and time when you learn to accept and deal with conflict in a productive manner. The important aspect of my example is that I learned to defer judgement and hold back from interrupting, even though the scenario was filled with argumentative subject matter. In the end, our discussion and my ability to listen proved successful in fostering a step toward a positive working relationship in the future.

References:

Levine, S. (2009). Getting to resolution: Turning conflict into resolution. (2nd edition). Williston, VT: Berrett-Koehler Publishers

Mind Tools Content Team. (2015, June 12). Improve your listening skills with active listening. [Video file]. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2z9mdX1j4A&t=38s






No comments:

Post a Comment