Thursday, December 7, 2017

A632.9.3.RB - Role of Emotion in Decision Making

Is leader confidence overrated? According to Professor Baba Shiv in his YouTube video, Brain Research at Stanford: Decision Making, confidence is vastly underrated. Confidence is a subject that I can relate well with. For me, confidence has been somewhat of a dilemma, it’s not something I can fake or easily display if I don’t feel it within myself. As a senior non-commissioned officer who retrained to a new career function within the last two years, I’ve been placed in multiple roles in which I have little to no experience. The lack of experience caused me to second guess my decisions and often rely on others for advice. Observing a lack of confidence in yourself presents a negative feeling that can lead to lack of passion in other situations or scenarios. According to Shiv (2011) a lack of confidence has a direct impact on how motivated you are to accomplish a task. Even though I’ve faced confidence setbacks, I stay positive, encouraged by the fact that confidence comes with learning and experience. As I become more comfortable in my knowledge I feel confidence will develop intuitively.

One particular situation I felt confident in was during a recent off station exercise that took place in southern Arizona. As a previous mobility loadmaster I specialized in evaluating aircraft load plans. During the exercise, my primary function was to confirm and supervise the movement of personnel and cargo, often loading the aircraft to its full capacity. My experience allowed me to quickly confirm logistical movements with senior leadership. As my junior airmen came to me with concerns and hesitation, I felt confident explaining the plan and motivating them to accomplish the task. The emotions felt after I successfully carried out the movement were great, I walked into the squadron with pride that my plan directly contributed to the mission success.

A different scenario took place earlier this year during an overseas deployment. This was my first deployment as the senior enlisted leader. Within the first week I was challenged with negative attitudes and overall disruptive behavior by my enlisted team. It’s important for me to explain my attitude and expectations in this scenario. I consider myself a team player, willing to work with anyone while displaying a positive attitude. I had real trouble understanding how these young sergeants could display such a negative attitude on a daily basis. Their poor attitude and my lack of ability to gain their trust made me question my leadership style. During a couple of occasions, certain individuals pushed me to the point of losing control of my emotions. Eventually I was forced to pull these specific individuals aside for one on one counseling. After four months deployed and several months home I still have trouble communicating with one specific individual. However, I also take faith in the bigger picture. While I have trouble successfully communicating with one individual, overall, I feel very comfortable and confident relating to and leading most others in the organization.

Over the course of the last year I have been put in situations where I felt comfortable and confident leading teams, while also dealing with situations and decisions I didn’t feel confident in handling. The confidence I display comes from a very genuine part of my personality. While some of my peers are able to display confidence during times of uncertainty, I personally feel there is no shame in admitting when you don’t know the answer. Leading people has been one of the greatest challenges I’ve faced during my time in the military, however, I feel that keeping a positive attitude and learning from my mistakes will make me a better leader in the future.


Reference:


Shiv, B. (2011). Baba Shiv: Brain research at Stanford: Decision Making. [Video file]. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRKfl4owWKc

No comments:

Post a Comment